Community Moderator’s Principles
These are some principles I used to guide new moderators on a project I was leading. The feedback was good, so they may be useful to you if you are coaching inexperienced moderators in a community moderation role for business.
• Everyone wants to be a worthwhile member of a worthwhile organization.
• No new posting goes unanswered.
• Be a pointer. You don’t need to know all the answers.
• Make it safe—to ask, to be wrong, to learn.
• No topic is taboo, but how it’s handled may be.
• Lead by example.
• Draw everyone in. Keep the conversation going.
• Read the postings often.
• Post new information regularly.